Tuesday 6 January 2009

Happy new year~Happy new bird!


Look close enough and you might see what I'm talking about.


As you can imagine I was wishing I had a better camera already, as this was the best we could get without scaring it. (courtesy of Mr Fete)
So after the hysteria died down, I thumbed through my bird book and learnt that it was a Woodcock apparently quite a rare sighting, especially in ones back garden and the fact that we saw it twice. Quote from rspb: You would be very lucky to see one

Now I bet you are thinking I stuck a cardboard cutout in the garden to impress you here, but it really was in my garden, a great start for a new garden blog!

9 comments:

Poppy said...

Talk about being on the computer at the right time! Your new blog, I am so excited! I had no Idea what the bird was, so I have learnt something already.
I have to say it looks very still are you sure it’s real????? Only joking!!! Well done look forward to seeing more.
Lou xxx

ginny farquhar said...

Happy New Year!
lucky to see one and even luckier to get a photo of it... hope this brings promise of a lucky year for you.
xxx

Simone said...

I would be so happy to see a bird like that in my garden! It looks like a duck with an extra long beak! Is it April fools day yet?!!! I hope you have many more strange and exotic looking birds visit your garden.

Country Bliss said...

Wow, how cool is that?
Yvonne x

Lisa said...

How kind of him to stop by and guest on your new blog!
Lisa x

Ragged Roses said...

I have heard woodpeckers but never seen one, let alone in my back garden!!! Happy New Year and welcome to your new blog!
Kimx

Selfsewn said...

its actually a Woodcock Kim!!

Ginger said...

Awesome never saw a woodcock before wehat a great bird And a great blog ! Enjoyed it very much!!
I'll be back checking on you and your garden.Thank you Mr fete for the pictures.
Happy New Years to you and your family!2009

Louise said...

What an amazing sighting. Have you contacted Bill Oddie yet? x