Thursday 7 May 2009

back to earth


A lot has happen in a month since my last post. The wisteria is really looking quite wonderful this year. Photographs never seem to do my garden justice, I'm not bragging, I just mean you lose the general ambiance and fine detail.


I'm very pleased we made the effort with the new bed, its really bought the garden closer and I like how the plants in the foreground merge with those that are further away.


There are lots of white and bluebells, but also this delicate pink one. I don't know if its still classed as a bluebell, but I hope it spreads.


I sowed a variety of aquilegia called Nora Barlow last year, so have been patiently waiting for the first flowers to appear. Alas they are not right at all. They should be a double white/pink number, but this is what I got.




Pretty I know, but not what I was expecting!!


The veg plot is beginning to romp away. These are mangetout and peas.


All the potatoes have pushed through, I have started earthing them up, which makes the plant produce more roots/potatoes. The plants to the left are rhubarb, which I've had one crumble from already. And behind are the raspberries.


The strawberries are crazy this year and behind them is the garlic also growing well.


We also ate the first radish last night. Veg plants I have on the go are squash, courgette, gherkins, aubergines, swede, parsnips, leeks, sweetcorn, tomatoes, pak choi and recently bought dwarf green beans.


I must leave you with something pretty, so here is the best of my garden right now. The alliums are just flowering. I must plant more next year!!


The pale blue flower is veronica and has spread quite well, which is great.


Lastly I shall leave you with a quiz.
What am I?

2 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

Your garden is looking gorgeous - and I bet you can guess that my favourite bits are the veg! Also I love your polka dot border so much that I am afraid I have copied you and put one on my garden blog too - I went for turquoise. Shame they don't have green! Lucy x

Simone said...

Are you the green June beetle? Your garden is looking bountiful! I think it will be a good year for fruit as I have lots of flowers on my strawberry plants, a Tayberry that has never flowered before and my plum tree is covered in minature fruits! It looks like all your garden work has paid off and lets hope that we have a reasonable summer so that you can enjoy it. I love your pink bluebell - I hope it spreads for you. x